Monday, July 6, 2015

What I'm reading now...

I'm currently reading the book "Switch" by Chip and Dan Heath.  The book boils down the essentials for making lasting changes in your life.  For example, I let my running slide this year and I'm committed to getting started again this summer so I can be in good shape for the upcoming school year.  I get off to a good start, but soon I encounter some kind of a barrier - it's too hot, I'm too tired, or I don't have time to run.

The author's talk about your brain having two opposing motivators:  The Rider (your rational brain) and The Elephant (your emotional brain).  In order to make long-term changes a reality, both motivators need to be united in meeting the goal.  Chip and Dan site many examples of ordinary people making changes that have an unbelievable impact.  I am fascinated by the fact that most of these changes are very simple and would be overlooked by many because they are not the changes that are most obvious. 

I haven't finished the book, so I'll have to let you know what I think when I'm done.  Hopefully by then I'll have a good solution that makes running a regular part of my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment